The future of cancer immunotherapy is rooted in research and education, primarily by early career scientists. The Forward Fund was established by the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) in 2012 to stimulate the future of science, development and application of cancer immunology and immunotherapy through financially supporting its education and research.
Ultimately, the Forward Fund (Donate online here) endeavors to provide grants and financially support activities and initiatives that:
- Help attract the brightest young minds in cancer and/or immunology research to the cancer immunotherapy domain
- Inform those outside of the cancer immunotherapy field about the huge promise of this modality. Cancer immunotherapy offers the potential to create long-term remissions and/or prolonged survival for people suffering from advanced cancer of a wide variety of types and educate clinical
- Educate clinical oncologists regarding the application and potential benefits of this treatment modality
How the Forward Fund will achieve these goals
- Provide grants to promising young post-doctoral researchers to help them complete cancer immunotherapy research projects and bridge the gap between their post-doctoral studies and academic or industry appointments
- Encourage more young scientists to enter the field of cancer immunotherapy research at academic, governmental or industry institutions
- Interact with patients and advocacy networks to address their specific needs for education and resources on cancer immunotherapy as an increasingly promising treatment option
- Develop policies on best practices in cancer immunotherapy clinical trials, assessment of relevant immunologic biomarkers, and clinical management
- Educate clinical oncologists and laboratory scientists on the complex state of the art principles underlying cancer immunology and their applications to the clinic
- Expand international collaborations among cancer immunotherapy researchers to identify and overcome major barriers in the field worldwide
The Forward Fund currently sponsors young investigators and honors senior researchers with the following awards:
SITC Fellowship Awards
Since its inception, SITC has strongly supported the growth and achievement of young investigators in the field of cancer immunotherapy. As the field continues to expand, SITC has realized the event greater importance of fostering the growth and development of the next generation of cancer immunotherapy experts and tumor immunologists by providing them with additional support opportunities.
Learn more about the SITC Fellowship Awards.
SITC inspires early career scientists to advance the science of cancer immunotherapy. Listen to Dr. Marco Ruella, 2014 Fellowship Recipient, share how the Forward Fund influenced his career path.
Richard V. Smalley, MD Memorial Award and Lectureship
Presented since 2005 in memory of the society’s founder, the Richard V. Smalley, MD Memorial Award and Lectureship is the most prestigious award offered by SITC. The award serves to honor those that have been pioneers in their work and have made a notable impact worth of high regard and recognition by their peers.
SITC Young Investigator Awards
SITC offers awards to promote growth and achievement among young investigators in the field of cancer immunotherapy and to recognize excellence in SITC Annual Meeting oral abstract and poster presentations.
SITC is Inspiring the Next Generation of Leaders in Cancer Immunotherapy. Listen to Dr. Stefani Spranger
, 2014 Presidential Travel Award Recipient, share the pivotal role the ForwardFund played in her professional development.
How You Can Help
Contributions in any amount to support the mission and efforts of the Forward Fund are welcome and appreciated. General contributions, tribute and memorial gifts can be made online or by completing and returning the printable pledge/contribution form.
For estate gifts, honoraria transfers and named honor funds, please contact SITC staff at email@example.com.
SITC offers a wide array of opportunities for corporate partners to engage with the society and interact with members and meeting attendees alike.
Click here to read more about how your organization can support the society.